Title of container is the third core element. Containers are either 1) complete works which contain smaller works, like a book containing essays, a book containing short stories, or an academic journal containing articles, or 2) larger containers holding smaller containers, like a database containing academic journals or a website containing webpages.
- The title of the container is italicized and followed by a comma.
- It is possible for a source to have more than one container, for example an article [title of source] from a journal [title of first container] accessed from an online database [title of second container].
- Sometimes titles will contain other titles. For example, a book of stories may be titled the name of one story "and Other Stories".
- If the title mentioned is usually indicated by italics, do not use italics or quotation marks for the title within the title. The title within the title will be in Roman. Examples are a book about a novel and a book about a film.
- Example of a book title which includes the title of a book: The Complete Gone with the Wind Trivia Book,
- If the title mentioned is usually indicated by double quotation marks, italicize the title, along with the rest of the title of container, and enclose the title in double quotations marks. Examples are a book about a poem and a book of short stories.
- Example of a book title which includes the title of a short story: "The Sneetches" and Other Stories,
Collection of essays, stories, poems, etc.:
Poe, Edgar Allan. "The Black Cat". Literature: Reading Fiction, Poetry, and Drama, edited by Robert DiYanni, 6th ed., McGraw Hill, 2007, pp. 137-43.
Print journal, magazine, or newspaper article:
Dukes, Charlene. "Recognizing our Camelot Moment." Community College Journal, vol. 86, no. 5, Apr./May 2016, p. 1.
Journal, magazine, or newspaper article from an online database:
Tucker, Virginia M., et al. “Learning Portals: Analyzing Threshold Concept Theory for LIS Education.” Journal of Education for Library and Information Science, vol. 55, no. 2, Apr. 2014, pp. 150-65. Academic OneFile, db12.linccweb.org/login?url=http://go.galegroup.com/ps/i.do?id=GALE%7CA369065399&v=2.1&u=lincclin_ircc&it=r&p=AONE&sw=w&asid=481641178d785366b35d618e23308ebf.
Television series episode:
"Something Nice Back Home." Lost, directed by Stephen Williams, performance by Matthew Fox , season 4, episode 10, Bad Robot, 2008.
Meade, Rita. "It's Not Too Late to Advocate." Screwy Decimal, 1 June 2016, www.screwydecimal.com/2016/06/its-not-too-late-to-advocate.html.
Byrne, John and Jim Lee. "The Resurrection and the Flesh." X-Men, vol. 2, no. 4, Marvel Comics, Jan. 1992.