Optional elements may be included if they are relevant to the source and/or your use of the source. Some optional elements are placed at the end of the Works Cited entry, while others are placed near a relevant core element. Please consult pages 50-53 of the MLA Handbook, Eighth Edition.
Optional elements include:
- Date of Original Publication
- City of Publication
- Total Number of Volumes:
- Series Name and Number:
- Not italicized or in quotations.
- Example: A Song of Ice and Fire 3.
- Unexpected Type of Work:
- Information about a Prior Publication:
- Originally published in Harper's Magazine, Jan. 2007, pp. 2-10.
- Including the Number and Session of Congress for bills, reports, or resolutions from the United States Congress:
- 107th Congress, 2nd Session, House Report 203.
- Date of Access: